Year 7 Transition
The purpose of a Transition program is to introduce Year 7 students to John Willcock College and the College structure. A secondary aim is to enable teachers from partner primary schools and John Willcock College to collaborate to develop support networks to ensure all student needs are catered for, during the change from primary school to John Willcock College.
The program is for current Year 7 students who are intending to attend John Willcock College to feel more at ease with their new school surroundings before starting Year 8 and to become familiar with the school ethos, teachers, sub school leaders and their peers.
During this transition program the students will meet with former students of their school, become familiarised with the campus and our laptop program, visit and work within some of our options areas and meet our staff members.
This transition program will take place in two sessions;
Our aim is to:
Introduce the Year 7 students to our school structure, ethos, programs and incentives.
This session will be run as a collective group for approximately 1h 30min
John Willcock personnel in attendance:
- Approximately 10 former students,
- Student Services Manager
- Associate Principal
- School Officer
- A.I.E.O or E.A
The presentation will include:
- Discussion of College Sub School system and programs available at John Willcock
- Group activity using JWC laptops
Parents are encouraged attend the concurrent session run by JWC Administration Team.
Whole day program taking place at John Willcock College
Parents are welcome to attend – a tour for prospective parents will be conducted during the morning
- Year 7 students picked up by a chartered bus at approximately 9.10 am from their primary school on the designated day. Pick up time will vary according to distance.
- Students will need to bring their own lunch or order their lunch at the time allocated from our canteen.
- Year 7 teachers will be responsible for undertaking attendance requirements for each school. (Please bring current roles in case of an emergency)
Upon arrived, students will be asked to:
Gather at the amphitheatre; grassed area on the right hand side of the schools entry . A guide will be appointed to escort the group from the bus area to the venue.
Once gathered, the students will be broken into groups and allocated a guide who will be familiar to them from previous sessions.
From this point, the students are able to order their lunches (if required) and then move to their allocated activity.
Students will be given a morning tea consisting of a muffin and juice box which J.W.C will supply
Students will be participating in:
- Physical Education,
- A tour of the campus
- Aboriginal students will visit the Netball/Football Academies and Follow the Dream area
Each group will be supervised by our staff during the activity and escorted by two J.W.C students through the campus.
This day will finish at approximately 2.30 pm allowing for transportation time back to the primary school.